Monday, June 04, 2007

Job Fair

Well, here I am at a job fair for work. We don't have a lot in the way of positions, but I am here representing Good Shepherd. I have to tell you how annoyed I am at the sign they posted to signify our table. The spelled shepherd wrong. They spelled it shepard. UGH! Please, use spell check. What would really be funny... if I made a spelling error in this blog. :) LOL

I have had a consumer with me all day today because she refused to go to work. I wasn't happy. It's really hard to get work done when she is around because she wants constant entertaining. She was also really emotional, which made things more challenging. I wish I could figure a way that would not be reinforcing for her missing work. Her provider was finally able to pick her up, so now I am killing time while the job fair winds down.

Working with people who have disabilities is a challenge at times and also rewarding. In some cases, I absolutely love my job and the people I work with. I have a great time with some of my consumers. They are funny and lively. The only part of my job I don't like is when it feels like I am working for mental health again. This usually entails crisis work or dealing with major behavior issues. It means trying to find a solution, fast, and fixing the situation now. This is when I absolutely hate my job. I hate that my phone rings and I am available 24/7. Lately, if I am home and the phone rings a scream can be heard throughout the house. I just want a break. I don't want to be needed all the time. Sometimes, I feel guilty for having these feelings. I don't' want to help anymore. I just want to be left alone.

Well, my battery is getting low and we will be wrapping up soon. I should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment