I found this comment from a man who posted a comment on another man's blog. The orginal blog was discussing a video of a teacher belittling the students (at most, 12 years old) if they liked McCain. If you are interested in it, here is the link: http://tundratabloid.blogspot.com/2008/11/swedish-documentary-shows-ashville.html
However, that's not what this blog is about. I read this man's comment and wanted to repost it, with his name attached. I found it interesting and thought provoking.
Dave B Says: Found at http://www.papamiket.com/?p=12918
When I was in college in the late 70’s I had a black professor that taught a class on racism and colonization. He was a brilliant man and had lived through some bad times for blacks. He taught us that the oppressed will inevitably take on the characteristics of their oppressors and actually become more oppressive when given the opportunity. He warned the class (mixed blacks and whites)that it would be important for our generation to be wary of what he called “black social programs” and he referred to the college black radio station, black only scholarships, quotas, and similar things after one generation because to continue them was racist in and of itself because it re-iterated a concept called “thingification” (reducing enslaved persons to things, less than human, or perpetuating the concept that the enslaved or oppressed had inferior human ability hence they were inferior humans.) He warned that it would neccesarily lead to a reduced self image of those persons to the point where they would expect to be “taken care of” by their previous oppressors leading to their reliance on them thus perpetuating their own “thingification” and acceptance of lesser standards for themselves. He, as a black man, warned us all that to allow racially identifiable programs to continue would ultimately acheive the exact opposite of what “good intentioned people” wanted to achieve and blacks would enslave themselves with these notions, there would be “house n****rs” (HIS TERM) that would request the handouts for the slaves and “slave traders” (HIS TERM) that would reap the benefits from the situation and perpetuate it (I’m assuming he was talking about guys like Jackson, Wright, etc.) I always knew the man was brilliant but I’ve watched it play out exactly like he taught every day since.
No comments:
Post a Comment