Now that a couple of days have passed since the election, I have had time to get over my disappointment and think about what happens next. Whether or not I like Obama is now irrelevant. He is going to be our President and as a result, I owe him respect. I have wrestled with my feelings over what is right. My feelings bristle at the thought of respecting Obama, but what is right to do is respect him because the public has chosen him. I finally started to come to a peace when I realized that liking Obama and respecting him do not go hand in hand. Also, I need to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope I am wrong, wrong, wrong about my perceptions of this man. I don’t think his plan will work and I think it will be extremely detrimental to this country. However, once in office, he may see the reality of the situation and change or alter his plans to be more centrist. If I don’t approve with his policies, if I think he is making bad choices, I can speak my mind. Also, if he is making good choices and building this country up, I will praise him. I didn’t like Clinton either, but he did do some great things as President (he also made a lot of bad decisions – and I’m not talking about his personal life which a whole different story). I sincerely hope that positive things happen with Obama.
I do think that we, as Americans, need to revisit history and get to know our constitution. I have been recently exhorted to do this and I think I am ready to take up the challenge. If I understand our constitution and history, I will have a more valid voice to speak out truth. If people ignore me, I can at least walk away knowing that I learned what I can, I spoke the truth, and I will continue to pursue the truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment