Saturday, July 12, 2008

Summer Nights

It's been a while since I blogged last. I guess I haven't been in the blogging mood. I'm not much in the mood now, but I felt I needed to at least do a small blog as an update.

I have been keeping myself busy the last few weeks with different summer activities, especially in the evenings. I'm not used to being out and about. I am a homebody. This summer is different, because I have people to go with me to different activities. It makes such a difference to have people to hang out with and not just go solo. I know it is popular to tell unattached singles that they can do things by themselves, but it isn't nearly as fun or motivating to do that.

I have also had an onslaught of people mentioning that I need to get a boyfriend. Well, yes, that is a nice thought. However, meeting good solid Christian guys is not as easy as it may seem. One, there are only a few select places to find these kind of guys and I don't always feel like going or like to go into those avenues. Two, I have a very set idea on how men and women are supposed to relate and relationships get started. I don't think a woman should initiate in any relationship with a man. Why? I believe if a woman is the initiator, she sets up a pattern of passivity by the man. Why should he have to work at anything, if I do it for him? I want to be pursued, not pursue. I want a man who can be a leader rather than be led. I want a man who I know will fight for me and if I have to do the initiating, I don't think he will do that. I want that man to live the life God calls him to do. I know I need to make myself available and open for a man to approach. Saying "hello" or starting a generic conversation is not initiating. However, when it comes to a relationship continuing after that point, it is up to the guy. This doesn't make finding a guy easier, but I believe it is what God has called me to follow when it comes to dating. I know a lot of people in my life disagree with me, but this is how I choose to do the dating thing. I firmly believe that if God means for me to be married, He will provide me with opportunities where I will meet the right man. If God means for me to be single, then He means for me to be single. It isn't what I ultimately want, but who am I to argue with God's plan for my life? I know this isn't an excuse for being passive, but it is also a reminder that if I try to take control and find a person for myself, then the relationship will most likely be fraught with pain. If it isn't blessed and designed by God, I want no part in it.

Well, that was more than I planned on writing. I will stop for now, since my cat is making it difficult for me to type. Enjoy your summer evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment