Sunday, July 25, 2010

Making Fun

Well, I wanted something to write about and I got it. My heart is breaking! Yesterday, I heard a clip of a man running for political office in another state. He did not come off as brushed, polished, or articulate. In fact, in listening to his comments, he came off as slightly crazy. I didn't think much of it and even laughed at some of the commentary given about this man. Then tonight, I was watching one of my shows and it showed a video clip of him saying the same things. My heart was pierced. I was not watching some "crazy" man who thought drastic times called for drastic measures. He wasn't a militant, radical, or power hungry person. I was watching a man who truly loved his country and wanted to do what was right. I also saw a man who was broken. We live in a fallen world and it destroys us all. Here was a man who served in our military. Here was a man who loves the Constitution. And here was a man, who, by my experience (and I am guessing) has suffered either psychologically (he would have be around draft age for Vietnam) or cognitively. I saw a victim of the fall and then I saw a victim of mockers. It wasn't just that he seemed genuine (albeit slower then others), it was the knowledge that others were making fun of him. Even a Christian radio host mocked him! Does that not make God grieve? We have been extended such grace from a holy God for the sins we have committed. And yet, we are comfortable mocking a man because he can't speak well and has some strange ideas (they weren't scary or threatening, just odd). He said he served in the Marines. Do we mock our soldiers even if their service cost them and makes is harder for them to reintegrate back into "our world"? Do we mock people with good intentions, even if they seem a little crazy? Perhaps, someone wise and caring needs to take this man aside and gently tell him his strengths may best be used other than running for political office. Since he is running, as Christians, how do we mock him and feel no shame? Something tells me, Jesus would grieve, not for him, but for our sinfulness in treating this man with such disrespect. If the man is sinning, being corrupt, or being a deceiver, I can see openly condemning such things. But this man was simple and seems genuine. WHO ARE WE to judge that which is not a detriment to the church nor an abomination to God?
Please, before you make fun of someone, stop and think.

No comments:

Post a Comment