Thursday, October 04, 2007

Autumn Colors


I love autumn. It is probably my favorite season. My favorite things about autumn are the changing colors, the sound of leaves crunching, and the cool, cool nights and the warmer days. I remember when I was younger, I thought the trees looked like God uprooted them, stuck the tops into paint and then let the paint slowly drip to the bottom leaves. I still love that image. The trees are God's paintbrushes. Just saying it puts a wonderful image in my mind.


The one thing I miss most about Kansas would be all the different colors hillsides of trees. Here, in Colorado, to see hillsides of trees, you have to go deep into Rocky Mountain National Park and the trees are either evergreens or Aspens. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Aspens and evergreens. Aspens are very Colorado, their leaf shape is very soothing and they turn a pretty yellow in the fall. But, back in Kansas, you had bright oranges and reds, along with yellow colored leaves. In Baldwin City, KS they have a Maple Leaf Festival because there are maple trees planted all over the town. In the autumn the whole town turns orange (see picture below of my sister and I back in the 80's at this festival).


Even the smell of autumn is different. I love having to bundle up at night and the feeling of snuggling in a blanket as a cool autumn wind stirs in the house. My teapots come out more often and I enjoy drinking a pot of hot tea while snuggled up with a good book (with the windows open of course). Just the thought of autumn makes me feel warm and wonderful inside.


I would love to here other people's ideas about their favorite season or word pictures about autumn.


Enjoy the season.

Denise and I in Baldwin City, KS at the Maple Leaf Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment