Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Allergies and Gardening

Well, the fallen nature of the world has struck yet again. My allergies have been horrible on an incredibly beautiful day. I love to open up my house or be in my garden, but today the house stayed shut up and the AC on because I felt like keeling over from my allergies. By the time I got back from work (which involved a home visit in the Livermore area and a home visit in Fort Collins) my eyes were about to drive me mad. I finally broke down and bought some Benadryl. I got home, changed into my pajamas, washed my face, put in eye drops, took some Benadryl, and promptly took a nap. I feel much better now. No more itchy eyes or runny nose. My throat still hurts a little, but it's tolerable.
It's horrible not being able to enjoy the beauty and splendor of God's creation when all you want to do is scratch your eyes out. I was in the mountains today and the whole way up and back down, I didn't really enjoy the scenery since my eyes bugged me so much. I don't even know what makes me have an allergic reaction. I never had allergies until 10 years ago and then they just hit me and hit me hard.
I'm going to be outside part of tomorrow, too. Hopefully, my allergies aren't too bad or I may have to cut my excursion short. Thursday, my job is having an employee appreciation celebration at the Hudson Gardens. I've never been there and I hope itchy eyes and runny noses don't ruin the event for me. I love flowers and the immense variety that is out there. God certainly did create art all around for us to enjoy. I am so thankful he has given me an appreciation for these things.
Speaking of gardens, I planted seeds this weekend. I'm on a tighter budget this summer, so I had to do more seeds than actual plants for my garden. I planted Morning Glories (my all time favorite), Larkspur, Canterbury Bells, a fun and bizarre mixture of purple and green flowers, and zinnias. I still need to buy some plants, too. I need to get some herbs (basil and dill), some pansies for the front porch, gazanias, petunias, and maybe some violas. I also need to buy a trellis for my morning glories to climb. I did some rearranging in my yard, too. I have great plans for my garden, but it will have to come in spurts. Landscaping and plants are not cheap! My goal is to have some ferns, Lily of the Valley, and Bluebells in the shady part of the house where you leave the backdoor and then go into the garage. I want to have tulips and German Irises, too. I think I will ask my parents if they can dig up some of my grandma's irises so I can have a piece of her in my garden. Grandma's irises are a very strong and pleasant memory for me. I also want to plant some mums, so I have color in the fall. I have some seedum (I think that's what it's called) to buy for some empty spaces next to the ones already flourishing in my garden. Then I need to get some Rose of Sharon bushes and maybe a lilac hybrid (so it stays short) for the area in front of my deck. I need to re-finish the deck, but I feel hesitant to do it myself. One, I'm not sure how to do it well and two, last time I was around treated lumber, my throat started to swell shut (fun!). I don't know if I will have the same kind of reaction if I re-treat or re-stain the deck. Anyone know of any inexpensive service that would do this for me? Anyway, it's pretty obvious that I have big plans for my backyard. I want a lovely oasis where I can sit and read or just daydream.

No comments:

Post a Comment